Where are we now - how big is Scottish korfball?

Ideas, suggestions and discussion on Scottish Korfball Development; includes player, coach, referee, youth and club development.

Moderator: Ian Volante

Where are we now - how big is Scottish korfball?

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:13 pm

I'd like to get a snapshot of how big korfball is in Scotland... how many players each club has, how many new recruits each club gets and "almost gets" (i.e. fails to keep) each year, how many active/inactive volunteers / coaches / referees it has, and how many people there are out there who are willing (and have time) to do more than they are at present. If anyone can provide these kinds of stats, please feel free to post them here, or just email them to me (using development at scotlandkorfball dot co dot uk). Thanks.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Re: Where are we now - how big is Scottish korfball?

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 am

I got quite a good bit of feedback on this subject direct to my mail account, and think that it's worth making it a bit more public. The intention is mainly to be open with our info though - it is definitely not to shame anyone, or to brag about any particular club. The key thing to remember is that we ARE a developing sport, and we need to be seen to be a developing sport. So hopefully, as time goes on, that development should be seen as a progressive increase in the numbers reflected here.

So, where we stood this Summer (looking back across the previous year)...
Dundee: 24 active players (17 of whom are new to the sport, from a total of 40 new recruits across the year)
Edinburgh City: 24 still active (from a total of 28 across the year)
Edinburgh University: ????
Edinburgh Mavericks: ????
Glasgow: 15 active (from a total of 29 across the year)
Saint Andrews: 20-25 active (50 at start of each year).

In summary then, we ARE a VERY SMALL sport (and we probably need to keep that in mind as and when we market ourselves: pehaps it's good to brag that "small is beautiful"?).

One (big?) caveat to the numbers mentioned so far. They don't include junior players. If we were to include those, we could easily prove "participation levels" in excess of 1000 players. But that really is a different story, so I'll save it for another rant / topic!

Some of the other points made in the feedback included:
(i) concern over retention of players when they finish Uni and move on - we really need to improve geographical spread of teams. But where exactly do these Uni players go, I wonder?
(ii) concern over age-range being recruited by non-Uni clubs - it seems to be really difficult to recruit younger players. Any ideas, anyone?
(iii) need to improve playing levels as well as player numbers: push for more high-level training sessions with high level coaches. Gav made some good suggestions about this before the last AGM, and I think that Andrea is taking the idea on board under the guise of her role as International Officer. So "watch this space" on that front.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 am

Another little update, based on figures reported just before this year's SKA AGM (as before, looking back across the previous year)...

as of May 5, 2013
DKC: active players = 23, active newbies = 5, total annual recruitment/turnover (adults) = 17
ECKC: ...................18, .....................0, .......................................................18
EMKC: ...................14, .....................2, ........................................................5
EUKC: ...................38, ....................15, ......................................................65
GKC: ....................19, ......................5, ......................................................24
SAKC: ...............20-25, ..................8-10, ......................................................55

In summary, most clubs look stable. No-one looks like they're growing too fast, and Ed. City are down a bit on last year, so... whatever we're all doing is only just enough to keep us going. Any ideas on how to improve (/grow)? Or is this not important - Scottish korfball is certainly fun enough for us all to be playing already, so maybe enough is enough? Your views do matter, so please let us know. (Your ideas are valuable too - mine are getting a bit old now! ;) )
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:24 pm

And the latest numbers, collected late on (late March/Apr) in the 2013/14 season (as before, looking back across the previous year, but now with an extra number to show the change over the past 12 months as well)...

DKC: currently active players = 28(+5), active newbies = 11(+6), total annual recruitment/turnover (new adults, either kept or lost) = 22(+5)
ECKC: ...................................??, .........................??, .................................................................................??
EMKC: ............................25(+11), ....................5(+3), .................................................................................8(+3)
EUKC: ...............................??, .....................??, .................................................................................??
GKC: ...............................24(+5), ....................9(+4), .................................................................................26(+2)
PKC*: ..................................10, ........................6, ....................................................................................24*
SAKC: ..............................30(+5), ..................17(+7), .................................................................................50(-5)

* PKC = The Perth club was only launched part-way through the year (Oct. 1, 2013), and can still be considered as an SKA development project.

In summary, those clubs that have fed back to me look either stable or slightly improved over the last 12 months. Even though the biggest increase in numbers (11 currently active newbies) represents only a small step in terms of development, at least these are steps in the right direction. I also like the fact that most clubs seem to be converting over 25% of their annual turnover into active newbies though - this is much better than I've experienced in the past.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Return to Development