Inter-club conference (10/1/16)

Ideas, suggestions and discussion on Scottish Korfball Development; includes player, coach, referee, youth and club development.

Moderator: Ian Volante

Inter-club conference (10/1/16)

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:14 pm

The SKA will be hosting an inter-club conference at Sighthill on Sunday, January 10th, 2016. This is likely to be the first of many similar events, hopefully leading to better understandings and a better future for Scottish korfball.
I've already received numerous suggestions for topics that need discussing, and will post as many of them as I dare here. Everyone else is free to do the same, or simply "join in" - especially if they will be unable to attend the conference meeting itself.
I'm going to post the topics/suggestions that have been sent to me (in my role on the SKA Management Committee) as replies to this topic, but if people want to split the issues up, or even add new suggestions into separate topics (under the "development" section heading - ie. this one) then that's fine too.
[PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING "REPLIES" ARE NOT MY OWN WORK, NOR DO ANY VIEWS REFLECTED IN THEM NECESSARILY REFLECT MY OWN VIEWS: THEY ARE SIMPLY RESPONSES/DISCUSSION SUGGESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN SENT TO ME IN MY ROLE AS A MEMBER OF THE SKA MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE]
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Re: Inter-club conference (10/1/16)

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:23 pm

1) What is the overall aim/goal of the SKA what is its role and can this be clearly defined - For example, is it to increase the level of play across Scotland for everyone? or is it to try and increase the profile of the SKA internationally, focusing on developing 'elite' players for example?

2) Should Scotland commitments override club commitments or vice versa and what will the SKA's stance on this be re attempting to avoid clashes, what if a clash is unavoidable?

3) How can the SKA communicate better with clubs? What responsibility should individual clubs have to this communication and involvement?

4) How are SKA funds distributed, for example for tournaments, development, setting up new university clubs? What is the process for this? Could clear guidelines be set about how to apply? how much money is available and what for?

5) One specific question from one of our refs: One thing that would be good to clarify from a rules point of view is what would happen if a player was sent off in the first of their games in a triple header - are they allowed to play in the next game? Obviously without a chance for the disciplinary panel to review the situation in between the matches how would it work?
THE SKA's OFFICIAL ANSWER TO QUESTION 5 has already been sent to the club that submitted the question, and it's a "NO" - for full details see section 4 of the SKA's Disciplinary Policy, available online at: http://www.scotlandkorfball.co.uk/wordp ... Policy.pdf
(That doesn't preclude the topic being discussed further here or elsewhere though - it's just the SKA's official answer.)
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:31 pm

Problems associated with double matches
I think that players, coaches and referees are not developing because of the 3 matches system.

High Level Players:
No experience of full matches, if we are to develop players who are to compete at International level we should aim to have them competing under the same conditions they would face in International competition. (Also believe we should be playing under shot-clock)

Other Players:
Development is hindered because of tiredness. A player's ability to learn from mistakes is hampered when they are tired, the second game is especially affected by this. It means that whilst they are getting more playing time on a game weekend, they are not learning.

Coaches:
I've had to take decisions this season based on conserving energy of key players in the first match so that we are well prepared for the second match. Coaches really should not have to be making decisions like this.
Coaches are also hampered because of the above situations, where players are unable to learn. If a coach cannot help a player in the late stages of a game then they lose the opportunity to develop.

Referees:
A referee turns up as a player first and foremost, the refereeing commitment is a secondary task. Referees in matches 1 and 2 will be conserving energy for later games and the referee in match 3 will be tired from playing matches 1 and 2.
How can we expect to develop referees when they are tired and not fully committed to the task.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Referees
Referees should be paid, even if it is a nominal amount. They are there to do a job, without them the game doesn't go ahead. They should be treated as such.
How are players supposed to respect the role of a referee when the league doesn't?

Referee qualifications need to be checked... I would suggest scrapping them all and starting again.

Referee courses need to be set up, theory and practical courses. These need to be well supported by the clubs. Carrot or stick, I'm not sure which is best for this, but there needs to be a lot of people from a lot of clubs at these events.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Short Term / Inward thinking
[I believe that there is an] unbelievable lack of clarity in decision making, both from the SKA and clubs.
I don't see any long-term plans behind decisions, the most shocking was of course the SKA's response to Saints [recent] hall predicament.
There needs to be a goal in mind and every decision made should be with achieving that goal in mind.
I would like an idea of what the goals of the SKA are in the short/mid/long term in order to be able to help achieve them.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Star Players
There is an issue with star players dropping down a team. If we are to play 2 matches at an away venue, then I would assume the league would like us to have substitutes available.
Unfortunately, if I'm only allowed to play a Star Player in the event of an injury then I'd struggle to justify asking someone to travel across country to sit in a hall for most of the day and not play a single minute. I think I'd very quickly run out of volunteers.
I understand the nature of the rule and I'm trying to stick by the philosophy behind it. But when I see clubs naming star players who haven't been at a single game so far, or playing star players down every week it can be a bit frustrating that the restrictions punish clubs who are trying to play to the rules.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:41 pm

HIGH LEVEL PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
I would also like to discuss the possibility of starting a Scotland 'B' squad that had been discussed during the summer and also if we could clarify how open the national team is going to be for inclusion between now and the end of the next World Championships (i.e. how often will trials be held).
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:43 pm

INTERNATIONAL EVENTS
I strongly suggest that we (Scotland) volunteer to host something rather than having something foisted on us at a time that was inconvenient. We could, for example, volunteer to host a Europa Cup qualifier in 2017. This would keep IKF happy and give us 20+ months to organise it. We pulled out of doing a 2016 tournament because there wasn't enough notice---which in some ways is fair enough---but also, to be honest, we are never going to get *more* notice if we wait to be asked. The nature of the smaller club tournaments (i.e the ones that are realistic for us to host) is that the precise number of teams and so on is never known until less than a year beforehand. A 20 month timescale would perhaps also give us time to run a test event, perhaps a home nations tournament or something similar.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:52 pm

STAR PLAYERS / LEAGUE ADMINISTRATION (I've edited this one down quite a bit from a much longer message - Nigel]
I would like to ask that the SKA is consistent with its ['star player'] message. [...If] we are to have these rules then we ask that they are enforced, i dont see the point in having rules we then only warn people about them. A rule break is a rule break and there shouldn't be any grey areas (penalties for rule breaks should be set perhaps in advance as well). If i was a club who hadn't played anyone down yet i would (if i wanted to, and i hope no-one in the league would do this) feel i could do it once and then point to the fact that others have been let off... so again we have to be consistent. [I] want to discuss the Star Player rule going forward. [...]
If it means more people have to get involved in administering the league and checking forms then thats what should be done. I personally think more people need to be involved at the SKA instead of just a core committee. That way more people appreciate the hard work being done instead of taking it for granted but it also means the few people on the committee are then helped out and don't have the burden only on themselves. [...Perhaps we should] set a rule that per team a club needs to have one member on the SKA plus anyone else who wants to be involved and from that pool a committee is chosen but leaving some ordinary members who can then be part of say a league committee (where people help out the league sec in checking forms etc) or a development committee.
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:13 pm

REFEREE DEVELOPMENT
For us we've found that doing the referees theory exam and actually refereeing in practice are two totally different things, and the idea that a game in the SKL2 being someone's first chance at refereeing for real is incredibly daunting to a lot of our players. We are a small club with extremely limited training time and space, so it's impossible to get any real experience refereeing in our training times. We'd like the SKA to consider maybe running a short refereeing workshop type thing? Maybe a short bit where some of the more complicated rules and scenarios are explained to the refs, they sit the thoery exam if they haven't already, then each get the chance to referee short friendly matches amongst local clubs? Obviously the logistics of this could be quite complicated dependent on the location of clubs and how busy the fixtures are for everyone, but it's just something to think about.

So to summarize this into a proper question to be debated: (6) What are the SKA's plans for referee development? Is there more interest in training new referees through their theory to Level 1, or in developing existing refs to Levels 2 and 3? Is the idea of a short refereeing workshop that includes practical experience something that is logistically and financially possible?
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Next

Return to Development