[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Scottish Korfball Forum • View topic - Web Development

Web Development

A sandpit for all the stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else

Moderator: Ian Volante

Web Development

Postby willellis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:56 pm

We thought it was best to address issues raised over web and league republic in a proper 'forum', as this is an important topic that could run and run...

---

The problem with these 'home brews' is that they run for 3 years, and then we have to re-invent the wheel because the person who built has moved on. It's like the Ed City website: Richard Allan made a great website, knew what he was doing. Two, three committees later, Rich moved on, nobody really knows how he kept it up to date, and somebody starts building some new and similar in Wordpress (or whatever's in fashion that year).

Secondly, LeagueRepublic holds three years of league details, three years of history. Gavin Legg: like me, you have had numerous requests over the years on how things were with the SKA back in the year 200x. All we can do is work from our failing memory, because as SKA we never have been keeping any sort of archive. Partly for this reason, I set up email address for each committee position, like secretary@scotlandkorfball.co.uk which every committee member would use in turn in subsequent years, so that they would automatically build up some sort of archive, that could be used whenever necessary. The committee of 2015 should therefore be able to check what was agreed with for example the IKF back in 2012. Or the person responsible for funding wouldn't have to rewrite his funding applications, as (s)he could just plagiarise the one Simon did a few years ago. Are these email addresses still in use?
My worry is that again we seem to losing whatever history his been built up, for something new that isn't necessarily going to be substantially better. I feel we're changing, because there's a new committee who (somewhat understandably) want to do things their way.
But maybe I'm just becoming an old fart...

---

The hosting of the SKA website is now kindly provided by Nigel in Dundee, which has brought a greater degree of control in-house. Gav Hamer kindly provided hosting and support, but personally I think it's better to be running this kind of thing ourselves.

The new site is based on Wordpress, which is, in my opinion, a huge improvement on Joomla. Not only is it more user-friendly behind the scenes, but there is a huge amount of literature / online support available for anyone interested in learning how to take it on.

League Republic does, indeed, hold a huge amount of data about the last few seasons. This year I aim to import all of that data into an archive based on the Scotland Korfball website.

We have already digitised the match-form process, which collects all of the data that we capture on match forms. These are all emailed automatically to the league@scotlandkorfball email address, and to a backup that is hosted outside the scotlandkorfball.co.uk domain, in case of issues with our mail servers (just in case). This means that a record of every match that is played is held in the League Email account as well as online.

All of the @scotlandkorfball email addresses are in use, and we have recently added an account for the child protection officer (after working on child protection policies) and a youth@ account to collect any enquiries concerning getting youth korfball going in any area in Scotland. This will mean that any interest in youth korfball can be passed on down through the years (to 2015 and beyond).

We have also recently updated the mailing lists that were run through yahoo mail and brought them into the same structure as the email addresses that serve the SKA Committee. There are plans for a broader members' email list as well, so developments in the SKA can be sent out to the entire korfballing body.

The aim at the moment is to bring everything in-house. This means that www.scotlandkorfball.co.uk will truly be the one-stop-shop for Scottish Korfball information, history and news. All of the processes required to keep things running are being documented and kept in the Google Drive of the webmaster@ account. I recommend that the SKA returns to electing a webmaster at each year's AGM.

Finally, I should point out that this is all just my opinions. I am not representing the SKA in an official capacity this year, but I have worked with the exec to put a website together that works and that is sustainable down the line.
willellis

Re: Web Development

Postby eoosterhoorn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:17 pm

That sounds like a lot of information that is important to know about, thanks for the explanation etc. The SKA site looks great at the moment and yes, I for one should love to see the build up of information from yesteryear. Hopefully we can pass on information and 'how things work' to keep the site going.
Erwin Oosterhoorn
Dundee Korfball Club

Twitter: &
eoosterhoorn

Re: Web Development

Postby Nigel Cooper » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Mark Goossens raised this topic with me again at the Dundee tourny last w/e, and I recognise that he (and Arnold, from above) has a valid point. I will raise the issue at the next SKA committee meeting. Speaking personally, I'm more in favour of keeping everything under one roof (like Will argues), but I can see that we're letting the time slip by... so maybe we can recruit Erwin to help with data retrieval and re-entry for those historic stats. (I know that this will seem like "re-inventing the wheel" to some, but we will discuss it openly at the committee and I'll be happy to go along with their advice/request).
Nigel Cooper
Site Admin

Return to General